Most decisions can be used in a dental water jet. The most effective Agent is the one that is acceptable to the patient.
a. A simple tap water, has demonstrated its high efficiency in numerous clinical trials [3,6,7,10,13,15-17,19]. Therefore, in addition to any antimicrobial agent for the house of irrigation oral cavity should be treated with caution.
B. Water has several advantages; it is an affordable, cost-effective and have no side effects.
2. Antimicrobial Solutions
a. Chlorhexidine (CHX)
1) For the house of irrigation, chlorhexidine can be diluted with water (table 27-2). Use a diluted solution of chlorhexidine has been studied in concentrations from 0.02% to 0.06% [8,12,14,20].
2) because of better remove deposits and plaque penetration compared with irrigation for rinsing, a diluted solution of chlorhexidine is acceptable for daily watering.
In some cases, for dilution you can minimize the staining.
3) CHX is available only with a doctor's prescription. In the USA, maximum strength is 0.12%. In Europe, it is available at 0.2%.
B. Essential Oils
1) For the house of irrigation, the effectiveness of essential oils for rinsing of the mouth, was proved only when used at full strength .
2) essential oil mouthrinses available over the counter, in both brand name and generic forms.
3. Other Irrigation Solutions
a. It is best to check with the manufacturer of irrigation device for information about the recommended solutions and dilutions. Some manufacturers do not recommend some agents or liquid for rinsing of the mouth, how these solutions can cause damage to the device.
B. Some manufacturers offer ready solutions that can be used in their equipment.
C. criteria for the selection of equipment. The choice of irrigation device can be complex because there are many types on the market. Commercial and scientific statements of some devices yet to be assessed.
1. Only pulsating dental water jets have clinical safety and support
2. Because each device behaves differently in respect of pressure pulsation, research results on one brand of product, may not be transferred to another brand of the product. Therefore, before recommending any device, it is important to evaluate investigations of the unique brand of product.
5. Machinery for irrigation tips
A. General Information
1. It is important for dental health professionals and patients carefully read all instructions before using dental water jet.
2. Fluid reservoir can be filled with water, a solution of water and liquid for rinsing of the mouth, or a solution of the disinfectant and water. Irrigation solution should be at room temperature for maximum patient comfort.
3. The device should be cleaned after use of any solution other than water. After using dilute solution, for example, divorced solution, the block is cleared by filling containers with warm water and running the unit by holding the handle in the sink until the tank is empty.
4. Most patients seem to follow the recommendations for use in dental water jet and find non-standard irrigation tip is easy to use for supragingival irrigation [13,17]. For subgingival irrigation, it is important to provide patients with clear instructions on its use, including the specific areas on which the tip should be used.